We always cover social games news and we are gradually starting to cover video games news as well, since all are part of interactive media. Here our first hot news from EA, they have announced recently that the Need for Speed franchise has surpassed 100M units sold life to date. The newest release, Need for Speed SHIFT (screen-shot below), pushes the franchise over the 100M mark, making it the best-selling racing brand in the gaming world. Known for delivering unparalleled white-knuckle racing, creative customization and street style, the Need for Speed series has generated over $2.7B in life-to-date sales and has become a powerful pop culture phenomenon. Need for Speed has literary become a driving force for innovation in the racing genre.
Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a huge milestone said Frank Gibeau, president, EA Games Label thanking his millions of fans. He added “With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most entertaining, action-packed racing experiences.”
Need For Speed History:
Since the release of Need for Speed in 1994, the franchise has…
- Launched 15 blockbuster titles across more than 14 platforms
- Released in 22 languages in over 60 countries
- Players have raced over 279 billion miles of roads & race tracks
- Generated over 17 trillion user-generated vehicle customizations
- Featured actors, models & musicians.
- Debuted exclusive remix from Snoop Dogg of The Door’s classic song Riders on the Storm
- Sold more games than all new passenger cars sales in the U.S since 1994
- If Need for Speed boxes were laid out end-to-end, it would span 173,609 football fields
- 100M units represents nearly every household in the United States and is 3x the population of Canada
This year, there are three titles being launched under the Need for Speed franchise. SHIFT is available on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, PC, and PlayStation Portable system. Shipping in November, Need for Speed NITRO has been developed specifically for the Wii and Nintendo DS to capture the fun and exhilaration of arcade racing at 200 MPH.